Driving with parents
When you are learning to drive it is a good idea to take as much private practice as possible, driving with your parents is one of the best ways to do this.
There are a few guidelines which you will need to follow.
Private driving practice legal requirements
- You must be at least 17 years of age and hold a valid provisional licence.
- The car which you are driving must be road legal, taxed and have a valid mot if it is more than 3 years old.
- You must display L Plates prominently both to the front and rear of the vehicle. If you use the L Plates which attach to the windows, then make certain that neither the driver and passengers view is not obscured in any way.
- Your parent or accompanying driver must hold a valid licence and must have done so for a minimum of 3 years, they also must be aged over 21.
- You must have a valid insurance in place on the vehicle either as a named driver, or you could use one of the learner driver insurance schemes.
- Learner Driver Insurance.
Do i need a qualified instructor
It would be advisable to combine your private driving practice with regular lessons from a qualified driving instructor, that way you are certain that you are doing things correctly.
On average, it takes 44 hours of lessons with an instructor to pass the driving test, however with private driving practice this is often reduced dramatically.
There are other advantages of practicing in your own car, the main one being that you should become a more confident driver, mainly due to the extra hours behind the wheel and dealing with the everyday real life driving situations.
As an instructor who has taught two of my own children to drive I know how difficult it can be teaching your own kids to drive. I am pleased to say that they both passed first time and my son is now also an approved driving instructor.
Should you require any help or advice on how to go about practicing contact us and we will be happy to advise.
A55 restrictions for learner drivers
It should also be noted that in the Conwy area there are restrictions on parts of the A55 from Llandulas (Junction 23) through to Conwy (Junction 17) there is a restriction that prohibits learner drivers.
Clearly marked diagram of Hyundai i20, labelled for show me tell me questions.
Whats the best first car? Read our guide to help find your first car.
Changes to the driving test read here about what is changing.
Labelled photo of Ford Fiesta eco boost engine, showing where all items asked on driving test are located.
Stopping distances as quoted in the Highway Code. Easy way to remember. Typical stopping distances and an easy to remember formula.
How to check your cars tyres are safe and legal.
Winter Driving advice , Demisting and driving in snow,rain or fog.
New Driver insurance can be expensive, find out how to reduce the cost.